• Your Cart is Empty
Our Role in Waste Reduction

Our Role in Waste Reduction

March 22, 2018

Most of us are familiar with the three pillars of waste reduction – reduce, reuse, and recycle. We’ve found ways to incorporate little changes into our home lives (and shared some tips here), but sometimes little changes aren’t enough.

Our Role in Waste Reduction

In Hong Kong and around the world, waste management is a huge issue. In 2015, 65% of waste went directly into a landfill, while the remaining 35% was sent to recycling. Of the 35%, some expect even less was actually able to be reused – sometimes the cost of breaking down items is too great to justify.

Paper and plastics are the top offenders, and also some of the most common parts of product packaging. Plastic can take up to 1,000 years to degrade, and certain kinds of paper are never even considered for reuse. And the most unfortunate part? Our consumption is increasing at rates higher than ever before. In other words, we’re creating more trash than we can keep up with. While recycling helps, the most effective way to reduce waste is to never create it in the first place.   Businesses are trained to think in terms of maximizing profit and increasing sales. Generally, this is not good news for the environment. There are obvious examples of dumping chemicals or depleting resources in the name of profit maximization. There are also more subtle actions that can have an equally harmful effect.

When you’re thinking about sales, you think about brightly colored packaging that draws in a customer’s eye. You think about creating something big and bold – often with no regard for the amount of garbage left at the end.

However, at Make It Colourful, we’re not thinking about sales. We’re thinking about our role as global citizens, and how to provide high-quality products with a sustainable business process. Because of that mindset, you’ll never receive your goods in a big, bright box. Instead, you’ll receive thoughtfully chosen products in the minimal packaging needed to keep it safe.

There are many benefits to shopping responsibly. Everyone wins when people support environmentally-conscious businesses, and we thank you for supporting ours!

Want to learn more about how Make It Colourful reduces waste and embodies environment-friendly business practices? Look out for our next blog post, where we’ll share details and stories. Stay in the know by signing up for our newsletter – in addition to blog updates, we’ll share company and product information and special discounts and offers.

Leave a comment

Comments will be approved before showing up.

Buy 2 Cases, Get Free Worldwide Shipping

Special New Year 2020! Only $38.5 (300HKD) for our Signature Collection 4 in 1 by Shelee Carruthers.

Sign up for our newsletter and be the first to know about coupons and special promotions.